Reading can be categorised as cyclic,intensive and extensive .Lets take a review of these categories which the teacher can employ to help children to develop their reading skills.
Cyclic reading is a system the teacher can divide the children into small groups of 5 or 6 with each group is given a unique task supported by reading materials These may be as follows:
•aloud reading to an audience
•reading for information enrichment using newspapers,pamphlets,magazines ,internet etc.
Cyclic reading is effective provided the materials are available and suitable for their level and achieve all the objectives set.
Groups rotate from from one activity to another as they can familiarise with all programmes and can devote three periods per week.
Intensive reading is more of comprehension execise using a text from any source which can be use with well constructed questions which help children to understand the text they read.It is only by outside free reading they can extend their knowledge of the language level and reinforce their lesson reading learning, by reading various reading sources and reference materials.
Extensive reading is suitable when the materials for reading and the content suit the cognitive level of the learners and is more convenient to language capability than the current published textbook. Extensive reading can be organised as one activity among athers in cyclic reading.
- Remediation in the classroom should be dom more ca...
- The School and Schooling Environment: Teachers and...
- AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF EDUCATION IN THE SOCIETY'S ...
- TIPS TO NEWLY QUALIFIED TEACHERS
- Education as an Instrument of Social Change
- Handle life with care: prevention of violence and ...
- The School Should Help to stop Indiscipline Among ...
- Education as an Instrument of Socio-Economic Devel...
- Schooling and work
- Making Yourself a good Reflective teacher!